Using Gas Safely Natural Gas Safety-SMART! Home

If You Smell Gas

Everyone in Your Family Should Know What to Do

  • Don't use fire or electricity. Do not use, turn on, or turn off anything that might create a spark, such as matches, lighters, light switches, phones (including cell phones), flashlights, or any electrical equipment, even computers. Even the tiniest spark from these devices could ignite the natural gas.
  • Get out. Leave your home immediately and take others with you.
  • Call your gas utility. Go to a safe location and ask a trusted adult to report the leak to 911 and your local natural gas utility.

BackNext Section